These easy bacon wrapped cheddar stuffed jalapenos are like crack! I love jalapeno poppers, but the breading just doesn’t fit into my diabetic diet. So, I decided to figure out a somewhat healthier version with no carbs… and this is it.
On the way home from the nutritionist this weekend, I stopped at a local farmer’s market. At one of the booths, they had bags of jalapenos for $2! I love jalapenos, so I bought a bag. As I was driving home, I was thinking through what I could use them in… and jalapeno poppers “popped” into my head. I wanted these delicious peppers without the breading, so I thought I’d try it and see what happened. Goodness happened, my friends.
What is in this amazing recipe?
This recipe is so simple, with just a few ingredients, it can be thrown together and in the oven in just a few minutes.
- Bacon (yum)
- Low-fat cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder (optional)
- and fresh jalapenos!
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Stuffed Jalapenos
First and most important… wear gloves when handling the jalapeno peppers. Trust me on this one – I learned the hard way, several years ago, when I tried to take my contacts out after cutting some jalapenos! It was ALL bad. To make these delicious peppers, you cut the peppers in half and clean out the seeds and insides. Then, it is simply a matter of making your cheesy mix, stuffing the pepper halves and wrapping them in bacon!
- Peppers. Not a fan of jalapenos? Try a different type of pepper! Sweet minis (mini bell peppers) would be perfect, if you do not want the heat. Carmen peppers would be good also. Don’t be afraid to mix it up with some habaneros or Anaheim for different flavors.
- Mix-ins. Chives, a couple of dashes of hot sauce, finely diced onions, minced garlic – really have fun with this one!
- Change up the cheese. Not a fan of cheddar? Want a little kick or extra oomph to your stuffed peppers? That’s ok! Replace the cheddar with mozzarella, pepper jack, or whatever you want.
More Favorite Pepper Recipes
If you love these cheddar stuffed jalapenos , try one of these other pepper recipes:
- Jalapeno Cheese Rolls
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- SOB Panini
Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Stuffed Jalapenos
- 12 Jalapeno Peppers at least 3 inches long
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp onion power optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 12 slices bacon NOT thick cut
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with spray oil.
- While wearing gloves, slice jalapenos lengthwise in half. You can remove stems, if you desire. Using a spoon, scrape out seeds and ribs. Arrange peppers, on baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and onion powder, if using. Mix well.
- Fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese mixture and return to baking sheet.
- Cut bacon in half, crosswise. Carefully wrap bacon slices around each pepper. Secure with toothpicks, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400° F or until bacon is browned and crispy. Serve immediately.