This is a quick and easy recipe for stuffed peppers– super delicious and chances are you have the ingredients already on hand. It is also a great way to use up garden produce before it goes bad! I adapted this from another recipe I had– this one doesn’t have a sauce with it, like most stuffed peppers do. But it is delicious… and even better the second day, so make extras for lunch!
I love recipes that can be adapted to whatever ingredients you have on hand. This is definitely one to keep in your back pocket. You can easily swap out the sausage for ground beef, chicken, or turkey. You can also use any kind of cheese you might have in your refrigerator – this is great to use up any leftover ingredients from other meals!
What is in this amazing recipe?
This recipe is so simple, with just a few ingredients, it can be thrown together and in the oven in just a few minutes.
- Bell Peppers (any color)
- Ground Italian sausage
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
This is a simple recipe to make – brown the sausage, make the rice, and layer it in the peppers and allow them to bake. If you are using leftovers, this is even simpler! Leftover rice and browned meat can quickly be pulled together and on the table in 30 minutes.
- Sausage. Not a fan of Italian sausage? Try ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
- Change up the spices. The sky is the limit on spices. Change out the Italian seasoning for some Southwest seasoning, or even some cayenne or any of the various spice mixes available.
More Favorite Stuffed Pepper Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious stuffed peppers, try one of these other recipes:
- 4 Bell peppers any color
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 box seasoned long-grain rice
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces mozarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Wash and dry bell peppers. Slice off top of bell pepper, just below the stem. Set aside tops and place peppers in baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Dice up tops of peppers, discarding stems.
- Brown sausage, onions, diced pepper tops, and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, cook rice per package instructions.
- When sausage is no longer pink, add meat mixture to rice in saucepan. Stir to incorporate.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Spoon into peppers, until mixture is to the top of each pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until peppers are crisp-tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 ounce of cheese on top of each pepper. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.